Sunday, September 15, 2013

Student Led Open House Idea for Any Grade!


Student Led Open House Scavenger Hunt


Hi Friends,

Open house is a great time to show off what your kiddos are learning in school.  To be completely honest, I don’t really like talking in front of large groups of adultsthat’s why I teach 4 and 5 year olds, hehe!  During Open House I try to do as little talking as possible.  I purposely set this night up so that my students do most of the talking.

Here’s what I do:
1.      Share announcements with parents. 
2.    Play a slideshow of a typical day in kindergarten.  (My kids love seeing themselves on the big screen!).  I use iMovie but you can also use iPhoto or smile box.  Smile box is great for beginners! 
3.    Do a classroom scavenger hunt. 

Scavenger Hunt Procedures:
1.      Make sure that all of the things you want to show off are easily accessible to your visitors.  Example:  posters, centers, charts, etc.  Label each item so they know that they’ve arrived at the correct location in the classroom.
2.    Create your scavenger hunt.  Click HERE for an example of my scavenger hunt.  You will have to re-create your own since you wont have the same posters, charts, activities, etc. as mine.  Click HERE for a template of my scavenger hunt.  Just add your own clip art, font, and directions. 


3.    Share with students that they are going to show off their classroom to their families.  They have to bring them to different places in the classroom and explain to them what they are learning in school.  Each time they bring their parents to a particular location and explain what they are learning, they get a stamp on their scavenger hunt worksheet.  PLEASE MODEL this procedure with your students so they know what to expect during open house.  They play a huge role in making this activity successful.  After completing the scavenger hunt, tell them that they will receive a prize from the treasure chest.  A simple prize from the treasure chest will ensure a great turn out during open house.  Ever since I started doing this activity, my Open House attendance has gone up.  I had more than ¾ of my class attend open house this year. 

Good luck and hope you have a great time with this open house idea!

KKAP



Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment